Re: JAVA IDE ACCESSABILITY

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:34:30 -0600

Hi Jim,

Yes, NetBeans currently supports Ruby, Grails, PHP, Java, C++, and
other languages, besides our custom language Hop, and Sodbeans should
work fine for those as well. Sodbeans is written in Java, Hop, C++,
and Objective C, so most of that code you can even write in Sodbeans
itself.

There is a few gotchas, though. For example, because of the way the
NetBeans platform architecture works, we haven't yet figured out how
to make code completion work for other languages, and we haven't built
auditory debuggers for every other language either, like we have for
ours. And, although a reasonable percentage of the people that have
downloaded Sodbeans live in Russia or Germany, we haven't even
considered how to port our auditory debugger over to other languages!

Still though, in theory it should work fine. And if it doesn't, let us
know, and we'll try to fix it.

Stefik