Introducing Interactive Perl

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:42:30 -0400 (EDT)

I've been doing some Perl programming lately, and wished there was an
interactive environment like Python or Ruby.  There probably is one or
more by a 3rd party, but I have not found one in the ActiveState
distribution of Perl for Windows.  Since I had developed an Interactive
JScript environment using the .NET Framework, I thought I would try to
port the same ideas to a project with Perl and the native Win32 API.  Here
is my initial attempt.

Jamal

Now available at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/ipl.zip

Interactive Perl
Version 1.0
October 23, 2008
Copyright 2008 by Jamal Mazrui
LGPL license

Interactive Perl (IPL) is a console mode environment for testing and
evaluating code in the Perl language.  Run ipl.exe to start a session.
The file html.zip contains documentation on the modules bundled in the
executable.  Of course, there are other ways of finding relevant
documentation and examples.

I invite Perl programmers to contribute to this project.  Below is the
online help of this initial version:

Type a Perl statement or expression, followed by Enter.
A trailing semicolon (;) is not needed, but it may be used to seperate
multiple
statements on the same line.
Many modules are packaged in the executable,
so a 'use' statement is not needed:
Date::Calc, English, File::Basename, File::Slurp,
HTML::HeadParser, HTML::LinkExtor, HTML::Parser, HTML::Tagset,
HTML::TokeParser,
List::Util, LWP, LWP::Simple, LWP::UserAgent,
Scalar::Util, String::Util, Term::Screen::Win32, Text::Autoformat,
Text::Reform,
 URI,
Win32, Win32::ActAcc, Win32::API, Win32::Clipboard, Win32::Console,
Win32::Exe,
Win32::FetchCommand, Win32::File, Win32::FileOp, Win32::FileTime,
Win32::GUI, Win32::GuiTest, Win32::Job, Win32::OLE, Win32::OLE::Const,
Win32::OL
E::Variant, Win32::Process, Win32::Service.
In addition, some built-in commands are available.
A command name is lower case, with a space before each argument,
and no quotes around it.
exit or quit = end this program
cls = clear the screen
eval FileName = execute a Perl script file
log FileName = log this session to a file
log off = stop logging
help = display this documentation