Informatos - RSS reader

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwebbers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 22:47:50 +0200

Hi,

On Jamal Masrui's request on blindwebbers mailing list, I make public the RSS reader I've started to create, but I don't continue it. You may see how it is done and get some ideas from it and you can also add improvements to it.

The name of the program is Informatos and it is made in Perl, using WxPerl as a library for creating the GUI.

You can download the source code from:

http://www.tranzactiibursiere.ro/static/informatos.zip

This archive also contains a .perlapp file that you can use to create an executable if you have ActiveState PDK installed. It also contains a .exe file which runs without other files, but the program needs some improvements because this executable doesn't work as it should and I don't know why.

I've made a better executable in the past that was working better, but I don't remember what was the difference.

(If I remember well it was because that time I used perl 5.8.8 and now I use perl 5.10.0... I don't know for sure.)

The program have the main interface created for having an RSS/Atom/RDF reader, and you can add a podcast reader, a TV watcher and a radio listener. WxPerl offers features for adding these things pretty easy.

The program offers the possibility of changing the interface language between english and romanian, but other languages could be added. The translations are in the gettext format and the binary files with translations can be created using the free program PoEdit.

It has an SQLite database with many RSS sources that you may use as examples (they are in romanian) and of course, you can delete them and add your own.

The program uses more threads, it has a built in web server that listens to requests for adding new RSS/Atom/RDF feeds and in my opinion the interface would be very easy to use for a blind.

The program can be minimized to system tray, and when clicking the system tray icon, a menu with options appear for choosing what to open - the news tab, the podcast tab, the TV or radio tab, or to close it. It can be minimized with Control+E and closed entirely with Control+I (or from menus, of course).

The program has many bugs that make it sometimes crash when trying to close it, and they should be solved and many other features could be added to it (like searching the RSS feeds in the database)...

Anyway, if you have questions about it, please ask.

HTH.

Octavian