re: ISPF question

  • From: "J.C. Veenendaal" <adsl677403@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 22:07:26 +0200

Charles,

'TS'stands for 'text split'. Put 'ts' in the line number, move the cursor to
the desired position on the line and hit enter.

Other line commands:

('nnn' - moves the contents of the line nnn positions to the left (and actually
deletes all disappearing characters).
')' - does the same but sifts the contents to the right.
'<'and '>' do the same but stop when a non-blanc would be pushed out of the
line.
x - exclude. This is more useful at  the command prompt, like 'X move  all'.
This excludes all lines containing the string 'move'.
'o' - can be used instead of a(fter) or b(efore) to define the target of a move
or copy.
This overwrites all blanks on the targeted line with the corresponding
character of the source line.
úc'- turns the whole line into caps.
'lc' - does the opposite.
I assume you already know M, C and R for move, copy and rplace.
All these commands can also be entered in block mode.

USEFUL COMMANDS AT THE PROMPT:

X <STRING> ALL mmm nnn
This excludes all lines containing <string> if found from position mmm to nnn.
After this you can limit a find command to excluded or non-excluded lines by
adding 'x' or 'nx' at the end of your command.
'Sort mmm nnn a'  sorts a file you are editing on the area between column mmm
and nnn in ascending order.

'hex on'/ 'hex off' toggles hex representation.
In my opinion IsPF has a great editor that's capable of things using exclude
and columns that UltraEdit can't.

On the other hand, for operations on carriage returns I gladly send my
mainframe files to the lan.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Hans