Re: Huge executables when compiling in Windows

  • From: "Bill Gallik" <BillGallik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:30:09 -0500

My first question, are the executables "stripped" on either Linux or Windows? Stripping removes the symbol tables that allow for debugging, those symbols are fine when a program is in development and you may need to step through the executable code in order to identify any problem areas but when the executable is "ready for prime time" it shouldn't need those symbols dragged along.

And I'm going to make an editorial point here concerning Linux/Unix versus Windows; this is just another talking point for why Linux/Unix is a superior OS. Programming in Windows seems to me to be much more controlled whereas in Linux/Unix the programmer is given a freer reign on how the program is constructed. But then I was a Unix system programmer for Bell Labs for many years and I am definitely biased.
----
Holland's Person, Bill
E-Mail: BillGallik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!