Fw: accessible math

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:27:17 -0500

Hi,
Can someone please help this person? This could potentially help some
people.

Jim

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/
----- Forwarded by James D Homme/Contractor/Highmark on 11/20/2008 11:26
AM -----

"Maldonado, Jill" <jmaldonado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: w3c-wai-ig-request@xxxxxx
11/20/2008 11:16 AM

w3c-wai-ig@xxxxxx
cc

Subject
accessible math

I am a web producer for The College Board. The College Board is a
not-for-profit membership association whose mission is to connect students
to college success and opportunity. We are always trying to improve the
accessibility of our web site and have recently started using Math Latex
to generate math images for the sample PSAT questions we post on our site.

My question to you is, does it make any difference if all the values and
variables and symbols are images as long as they are alt-tagged? For
instance, there may be cases where we would use Math Latex to generate an
image for "-2", so that we can alt-tag it as "negative 2" and then in that
context we might also use Math Latex to generate an image for "2", so we
can provide visual consistency for other users (since of course the
numbers that are images LOOK different from the numbers that are not).

In your opinion, should we avoid using images for math equations unless we
absolutely need to, or is it okay as long as everything is alt-tagged?

I thank you for your help!