Dynamically Updating Web Pages (AJAX Experiments)

  • From: Darren Lunn <darren.lunn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:55:42 +0100

Hello all,

We are currently undertaking accessibility research with the Human Centred Web Lab (HCW) in the School of Computer Science at the University of Manchester. We are currently looking into the use of Web 2.0 technologies and their affects on Assistive technologies, both in general use and as a method of improving Web page accessibility. To gain more of an insight into this, we have devised two small studies that we would like people to participate in.

The first study is to gain an understanding of how current screen reader (and browser) technologies cope with dynamic changes to pages. We have developed a set of test pages, and what we would like people to do is explore them, using your normal screen reader and browser, then tell us what happens. There is a more detailed introduction and instructions at <http://hcw.cs.manchester.ac.uk/ research/saswat/experiments/atreview.html>.

The second study is to see if inserting ARIA statements into Web pages can aid in the navigation of the pages. We are looking for people who use Windows Eyes or Firevox in conjunction with Firefox and would be willing to take part in a small study in July. Ideally we would like to have 12 participants and are willing to offer a bursary of a £10 iTunes voucher (approximately $20 USD) for anybody willing to take part. The study will take no longer than an hour and there will be no need to travel as the study will be conducted remotely. Anybody who is interested in taking part in this study or would like further information, please contact us directly at <hcw- studies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

I'd like to emphasise that any feedback at all will be useful to us and if any person has had experience of using ARIA or Web 2.0 in general then please feel free to send us comments. If you are interested in participating in any of these studies, or have comments and feedback, then please contact us at <hcw- studies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Many thanks

Darren

University of Manchester (UK)
Human Centred Web Lab