Re: Colors On Web Pages

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:48:03 -0400

Hi John,
Thanks. With bp, I am using Drupal, a content management system. Once I get
the hang of the system, I may change to a different template. Even then, I
will get sighted help picking the template, but the manus and so on are
easy to do because you just fill in forms and check boxes. You still have
to put the content there, but that gets reduced mostly to composing the
text rather than designing the whole of everything. That lets me
concentrate on catching bad listers. :)

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "John Greer"
             <jpgreer17@hotmai
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Colors On Web Pages

             10/30/2007 12:34
             PM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

But in the case of the original poster, his sighted visitors wanted to see
bit of formatting and color on the website instead of the standard blindy
website design of no frame sets, centering etc.  That is also why I said,
"It depends on what kind of website you want to make".  It would be nice to

hear of a few more blindy websites that are a bit more design oriented than

just the standard that we have all come to know.  Nice job by the way on
blind programming.com by the way and Inthane's site is looking better too.
One of the things that my flood of answers refers to is exactly what this
other person has said.  There will be times when blind people will want to
create a site where there is a navigation frame on the left and the
background of the frame is in light blue for example.  How is a blind
person
that has never seen color before going to know what text color would be
most
visible on a blue background.  My later emails with the links to contrasts
etc. are a step to help them with that.  I was not trying to say that the
blind web designers need to start putting the entire rainbow of colors on
their websites.  But I was saying that if they want a wider sighted
audience
to enjoy their site, they need to break away from the standard heading,
write some text put another heading then an excrutiatingly long list of
links with descriptions.  It would be nice to see some of the pages like
that at least have a navigation frame with categories, home, games, scripts

etc. etc.  That in fact is not only better for the sighted design side but
also is better for the blind comunity too because then they are not having
to press insert f7 and then arrowing down for a day and a half to find a
link they are looking for.  My 3 cents, grin.
JohnPG search for all of your Jaws scripts at http://www.blindcrawler.com/
Also be sure to check out Blind Crawler's Legend of the Green Dragon server

at http://www.blindcrawler.com/lotg/
There will be more to come from Blind Crawler very soon.
Administrator: John Greer
Blind Crawler.com