RE: C# - is there a layout manager example for C# 2.0

  • From: "Macarty, Jay {PBSG}" <Jay.Macarty@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:40:00 -0600

Got the SSIP server configured to run as a background process upon
startup. You can select the system tray icon and choose to open the
console window or shut down the server. The console window now supports
5 levels of logging: DEBUG, TRACE, INFO, WARNING, and ERROR. This allows
you to customize how much detail is fed to the console window about
client requests. Logging level is currently only configurable by a
/LogLevel parm on the startup. I'll add a list box on the console screen
for it later.

For the "normal" operation of the server, however, one will simply start
it up and let it run quietly in the background accepting requests and
speaking text or playing sounds.

Having gotten the initial server functionality down to something I am
okay with for a first release, I am concentrating on the clients now.
The java client is able to send requests and receive data from the
server now. For example, the sayString method call will instruct the
server to speak the text through the current API such as Jaws,
window-Eyes, or SAPI while the list voices command will return back an
array from the server listing the currently available voice settings.
Calls such as setRate and getRate are also working.

Hope to finish up an initial set of clients and post the 1.0 version
soon. I will provide documentation on the actual server API but, for the
most part, you should be able to simply use one of the provided sample
clients in your own applications. In other words, you should be able to
self voice an application by creating an instance of the client and
calling the saystring method rather than worrying about the socket
interface and API commands. However, if you want to create a new client
or want to see what is going on inside the server, you can use the
server console window at whatever logging level you wish to research
and/or debug your client.