RE: Android accessibility

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:06:23 -0400

Ideal and mobile speak and I can even say us currently are using the
javascript interface to get the dom.  We all do it differently but that is
what we do.  If you download the eyes free stuff you can take a look at the
ideal code.  Now there are other ways to do it if you're making a hardware
device like APH and levelstar are doing.  You have full access to webkit
core but you would have to dig into the JNI and get really funky with the
that mess.  There are also multiple way's to make the silly thing talk and
some are better than others.  For example you can control the tts directly
or send events to a screen reader which there is now talkback and  one other
on the market that I know of.

In the long run we should get away from the android browser totally which
has no accessibility events and go to something like chrome.  That's a big
step but not as big as you might see if you download the repo for the ginger
bread build and see what is really being done under the hood it's really sad
what Google did do and what they did not do.   I can tell you the 3.0
version has a talking web browser without ideal or the mobile speak and that
makes the email client talk as well but they are still using the javascript
interface to make that work.  There are problems with that but I will not
get into that now because those problems could be fixed before 3.0 even
releases.

The best way to do this in my opinion is to create an accessible webView
that sends events to whatever screen reader exists.  The problem is you have
to get that either into the root google repo or you can add it to the
sianagan or however you spell those mods out there.  The problem with mods
for regular users  is your basic user does not want to take the chance of
bricking their devices.  So really if I was sitting on the Google access
team I would be re-writi9ng the WebView.  It would take about 10 functions
and two classes and you could fix 99% of all web apps for android.

ken