Re: Accessible GUI Programming in Ruby?

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:42:58 -0400

Yes, the WxRuby package, which may be installed easily as a Ruby gem, produces accessible GUIs on Windows, Mac, and Linux -- as far as I know. A Windows fruit basket example is at

http://EmpowermentZone.com/rb_fruit.zip

TextPal illustrates more features of the Ruby language at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/palsetup.exe

Note that if one is looking for an editor, however, I now recommend EdSharp over TextPal,
http://EmpowermentZone.com/edsetup.exe

Jamal

On 8/16/2010 1:06 AM, Jay Macarty wrote:

Yes, you can write accessible GUI programs in ruby. Jamal wrote an
accessible editor (the first version of TextPal) using ruby. You have to
add on another GUI component library however. I believe it is a version
of XWigits for Ruby. Jamal could give you the details.