A screen reader for Windows PE

  • From: "Bue Vester-Andersen" <bva_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:14:36 +0200

Hi,

Sorry to trouble you all with yet another screen reader talk. I want to
replace my trusty old DOS boot cd with Windows PE (Pre-installation
Environment), which is a small command line version of windows, mainly used
for installation and maintainance tasks. Of course, there is no sound and no
Narrator, and I guess it would be very difficult to make Jaws work in this
environment.

What I am looking for is an open source screen reader that I can strip down
to work with the command prompt and an external synth. As I understand it,
NVDA wouldn't do in this case, because it relies on MSAA and the Windows
object model. I guess I need something far more simple. However, it would be
silly to reinvent the wheel if there is an open source project out there
that I can use and learn from.

If there isn't a project that I can use, does anyone know which functions to
use to get access to commandline output buffer. I guess stdout wouldn't be
quite enough.

Any ideas would be very welcome

Best regards
Bue