A question on behalf of a colleague: write to me privately[Fwd: [SIGCSE-members] UML and a blind student]

  • From: "Liz Bottner" <lizb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:26:58 -0400

Hi all:

The below message is from a colleague. If people could write me privately
regarding this matter, I would appreciate it. I know this topic has been
discussed on list before, and so am trying to minimize list traffic.

Thanks, and take care,

Liz

Email: lizb@xxxxxxxx Visit my LiveJournal:
http://unsilenceddream.livejournal.com

Date:   Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:22:39 -0400
From:   Russell Bjork <Russell.Bjork@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     SIGCSE-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Colleagues:

This fall I am teaching a course that uses UML extensively.  One of my
students is blind.   Is anyone aware of a tool that automatically
converts UML diagrams [ or any line drawing, for that matter ] to a
braille form?  Better yet, is anyone is aware of an approach that would
facilitate a blind person getting the "big picture" that a UML diagram
conveys to a sighted person?

Thanks.  You can reply to me personally, and I'll summarize to the list.

Russell C. Bjork

Professor of Computer Science

Gordon College

255 Grapevine Rd