Re: A question on Screen Reader Speed Standards

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 07:34:36 -0600

Jaws 11 uses 2 numbers -- the first is some inexplicable number that is
probably the one used by the synth.  The other is percent -- of what I'm not
sure -- perhaps the the percent of distance between the lowest and highest
speed setting for that synth.  Mine currently says "112, 65%".  Depending on
what I'm reading I can push it up to 75 or even 80 or more for familiar text,
but I usually leave it at 65.
Now really, does anyone listen to speeds over 80 for general reading? I have
heard claims. If they can, perhaps my hearing aids are getting in the way, or
perhaps they are not comprehending what they are reading...*smile*  I aim for
full or near full comprehension.
Happy listening.
--le