Re: A question from a beginner.

  • From: "Ishe Chinyoka" <chinyoka.consultant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 00:37:48 -0800

Hi Gabriel (and anyone who might be starting out)

I think if you have some bit of background in programming Basic-like
language, the recommendation by Ken sounds OK. To add to that let me
just tell you that I am beginning programming myself but I am
interested in C so I am finding it a little better as it makes me work
closer to the hardware and the OS commands.

As for which language is the best, any language seems to work well
with Jaws as it appears as a good screen reader. For your own
information, I am using an old Jaws version (version 5.0) but I can
program in Python (which incidentally you asked), AutoIt, Perl, PHP
and C. Python is accessible but the only problem with it may be with
its syntax which seems to be different from traditional languages like
C and C++ where you have to use braces to indent code. In Python, you
have to indent and not use any braces. For that reason, I encourage
you to consider first looking for a text editor that is sensitive to
indents and any tabs you might make. I suggest the now popular EdSharp
which I use when I want to write out my Python scripts. However, I
also think Python is easy for a beginner - though this term seems to
be subjective as any programming language requires more than reading
and understanding its concepts but practising it.

As for resources useful to blind and visually impaired people, I may
as well point to the favorite spot of mine which is known as the
Empowerment Zone. As for me I found a lot of useful material from this
site. This site contains a lot of stuff but check the section on
technology and you would smile at the books and handouts there - by
the way it is maintained by Jamal Mazrui who also has another site
which you can link from this one. The site for Empowerment Zone is
http://www.empowermentzone.com the other site is excellent as well as
it has the latest material and resources for blind programmers. I
cannot remember it off head.

Good luck in your programming career. Wish you all the best!

On 2/1/08, Ken Perry <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would suggest you get the Microsoft Visual basic express.  Its free and
> with the scripts its easy to use if you use Jaws.  If you search for that on
> google you will find a download link for it.
>
> Ken

Ishe Chinyoka
Website URL: http://www.chinyoka.com
In darkness, it is better to light your own candles than to curse at
the darkness.