[program-l] Re: sql server tables and DTS

  • From: David Lant <david.lant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:10:22 +0100

Hi Justin,

Last time I did this, I used the DTS wizard, and struggled through the
inaccessibility problems.  Not pleasant, but achievable if you're prepared
to drink lots of coffee and grind your teeth. <grin>

The other method I use, is to get one of our DBAs to do it.  But that
probably isn't an option... <smile>

A final, and slightly long-winded way is to do it in two halves.  Right
click the table, and choose the generate script option to script the table
creation.  Then, right click the table again, and choose the export wizard,
which is basically the same DTS wizard as before.  But this time, simply
choose to export the data to an Access database or some other external
format.  Then you can go to the other machine, run the table script to
create the table, and finally import the data from the Access database.

None of these are ideal, I admit.  But you might be able to manage somewhere
along the way.  If someone does have an alternative method that is
completely accessible, I'll be interested too.

David Lant

I.T. Consultant
Consultancy & Development
ICT Services
Tel: (01392) 382464

Devon County Council accepts no legal responsibility for the contents of
this message. The views expressed do not reflect those of Devon County
Council.