[program-l] Re: programming questions

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:04:45 +0200

Marvin,

I suggest you start by downloading or just visiting the HTML 5 specification on the W3C's site and have a read through it. Next, open up a notepad and go through the spec again but this time start making a page or two based on the sample code in the spec. Each time you add something, open your created HTML files in a browser and try and move around in your page, through it's structure and form elements.

When you are confident about a significant portion of the spec -- not all of it of course -- then you can start looking at the source of pages and forms you would like to build -- visit sites and then use the view source feature to get at the source code.

Remember that 80% of web development is sight oriented and without sight you can't really make pages look good, but you can get an understanding of how the elements work together -- especially the form fields.

After this you need to decide if you are going to go the MS route or open source. If MS then it will be ASP.NET and if open source then there is many more options available -- classic ASP via PHP, Perl or any other CGI type setup, or something different like the more modern Python SWIG setups like Django, Web2Py etc. and then there is the whole world of Java based web application development with multiple options. Let me not forget to mention RoR, Ruby on Rails and the list goes on and on.

It's very important to get the basics right first before you get burdened with this or that implementation. All those frameworks and technologies, with the exception of browser plug ins like Flash and Silverlight and Java Applets create HTML, even if it's dynamically created via JavaScript it's still mostly HTML and CSS, so you need to have a firm understanding of HTML and CSS, then JavaScript and then web application development languages like the MS or open source offerings.

It is a ginourmous field so get the basics first, and don't be offended by Tylor's message, I just think he's confused why you are seemingly going back to square one and his email wasn't offensive as such. Rather respond and explain your situation?

Hope this helps, and be encouraged to try things hey!

Kerneels

On 8/18/2011 11:38 AM, John G wrote:
Hello Marvin,
I don't know how practical this is for you, but you could install a couple of these IDEs on your machine and find out on your own how accessible they are with JFW. I think there's a lot to be said for the good old fashioned trial-and-error approach, provided that you've the time. It could be a real adventure. Another thing, read the user manual to see if it offers any possible solutions to your accessibility issues. If there's anything else that I can help you with don't hesitate to come back here or email me privately.
Good luck mate
John

hi.
well enrolling in a diploma in website development.
and developing a website.
now what web site development tools, and which programming tools which works best with Jaws?
visual basic, visual web developer, c#, dream weaver, vs 2008, or 2010.
which works best with jaws?
marvin.
ps: will take your more expertise in this area.

Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998
Skype: cornelis.roos