[program-l] Re: my first decent project

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 05:59:52 -0500

hey Ty -- I got a broken link
--le

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tyler Littlefield" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tyler Littlefield" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:09 AM
Subject: [program-l] my first decent project

Hello all,
I have had the goal of developing a mud for a few years now, but
never could find the base that I wanted to get started with.
I have now started work on something I'll call skelmud or SkelPlusPlus
for short.
I wasn't able to find any decent barebones c++ mud bases that I liked,
with the exception of socketmud++, which was a bit to barebones. It
basically looked like a chat server that you could find on google,
there wasn't anything that would split it up from a chat server.

So, using Socketmud, I set out to write my own system. I would like
people to take a look at it if they have the time, and make
suggestions/comments on the code and the way it is set up. I don't
usually code with indentations, but I used a code styler to clean it
up for the sited comunity that may be looking at it.

The only two issues so far that I can see are:
1, the makefile doesn't detect when a file has been updated for some
reason and just links. Now that I've got autoconf working with the
base, this is problematic because a recompile means a reconfigure as
well.
2, I'm not quite sure if I've properly linked in the configure.h so
that the options it detects and sets will be used at compile-time.

Other than that, I think the code is somewhat well-written, though
I'll leave it to others to comment there. I compiled with all warnings
turned on, and removed the warnings that were produced.

This is nowhere near what I plan to release to the public as a code
base, I just wanted thoughts on what exists right now.

Currently there is player creation and login, and a couple commands
that I set up to test the interpreter.

I have uploaded the code to my website in two different formats; the
links can be found below:
http://tds-solutions.net/skelmud.tar.gzhttp://tds-solutions.net/skelmud.tar.bz2

Again, any suggestions and comments are appriciated, either on or off
list.

Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield