[program-l] getting started with visual studio 2022 as a complete newbie

  • From: Aaron Spears <valiant8086@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:49:52 -0500

Hi

I've always coded in notepad or ed sharp. I'm trying to find out if I can make some programs using visual basic which I'm relatively familiar with syntax-wise, and windows forms. I made a hello world based on this tutorial:

Tutorial: Create a Windows Forms app with Visual Basic - Visual Studio (Windows) | Microsoft Learn <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/create-a-visual-basic-winform-in-visual-studio?view=vs-2022>

So I've done everything except the following step.

3.
In the Form1.vb [Design] window, double-click the Click this button to open the Form1.vb window.
Another option is to expand Form1.vb in Solution Explorer, and then select Form1.
4.
In the Form1.vb window, between the Private Sub and End Sub lines, enter lblHelloWorld.Text = "Hello World!" as shown in the following screenshot:

I can't figure out enough how to use visual studio yet to gain the context awareness. I can get something like that to appear sometimes, but it's called form1 not button1. Don't I need button1 for that command? Because the idea is to have the hello world appear in the label if the button is clicked.

For reference, my button is called button1 and my label is label1. The form they're added to is called form1. I can find these items in the solution explorer. But when I arrow my way in the tree of solution explorer to button 1 and hit enter, I'm placed in the code in a situation that is unlike that tutorial suggests. It's not just an empty sub. Sometimes I can get the empty sub by hitting shift+f7 or was it ctrl+f7 or something like that while I was just in the designer view, but there's no context to know what I'm editing.

I'm still learning how to get started. I think this is kind of making sense I just have a ways to go. What's the best way to be able to edit the code for a specific control. I think it has something to do with navigating to it in solution explorer but could use some hand holding. If there's literature about this from a screen reader user standpoint that may help. I assume that if I could have just double clicked on the button as in this tutorial I'd be better able to follow. User guides and tutorials work well for me as long as they don't go all linuxy and start spouting meaningless terms with no context or get too visually specific, of course.

Btw, I can't actually browse the controls at all unless I run it. Would have thought that I could kind of navigate them in the designer view. It's silent. NVDA's object nav will see them but I can't emulate clicks on them at least not so far as I can tell.

Also putting the cart way far in front of the horse I know but are vb programs these days just going to have a bunch of stuff to go with the final .exe like I'm getting? or is there a way to turn it all into one nifty little .exe file. I tried moving my hello world.exe to the desktop by itself and it won't run. It seems the 4 other items in the release or debug directories has to go with it. I'm mostly trying to find the answer to that this soon because I want to know whether what my eventual goal is as my final program is actually possible.

--
Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make