[program-l] accessibility of jquery dialogue

  • From: Chamandeep Grover <cmusic789@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 10:37:33 +0100

hello,

My company is changing its previous website code to modern styling.
One of the things they are using is the jquery ui dialogue. As you all
may know, when the dialogue is displayed on screen, all of the other
elements are not able to receive focus by jaws and i believe with the
mouse either. The dialogue should ideally receive primary focus and be
accessible with jaws or any other screen reader, however that is not
always the case. During testing, the dialogue may come up at the
bottom of the page or at another position; dependant on the page.

So my question is, firstly is there a way to make this dialogue fully
accessible so there is no inconsistency with the primary focus. If
not, what alternatives are available similar to the jquery dialogue?
Thanks
Chamandeep