[program-l] Re: Website creation

  • From: "Toni Barth" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("hihohaia")
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 17:40:05 +0100

Hello guys,

Sorry for not attaching a subject. I attached one in fact, but I forgot to uncheck the "Encrypt subject" checkbox which resulted in Thunderbird encrypting my subject via GPG, ending up as an attachment. BTW, one of the attachments is my GPG key, which will be attached for people wanting to contact me privately.

Regarding static site generators: I tried some of them out yeah, but I worked as a web developer for almost 7 years now and I find them to not be representative of my skillset. I want my website, apart from the content obviously, to speak for my skills, and WordPress, Drupal and static site generators can easily be configured by everyone and thus don't represent me as a person.

I thought of bootstrap the same way though. Given that Bootstrap is consequently used on my website, I could finish development and as a final step hire a web designer who knows Bootstrap and could apply the final CSS steps. I didn't try that step yet, so I was a bit unsure and thought one of you might have more experience in that regard.

Svelte looks really interesting, i'll watch the development further over the next few months and will see if I can make up some free time to give it a try.

React is rather performant (at least faster than Angular as far as I can tell, I worked a few years with first AngularJS and later Angular and although I got significantly faster over time, React is still a bit better IMO). Thanks to Webpack, babel and those other packaging tools, the React app gets delivered in basically one or two files in total, so usually you don't need to lazy-load anything if you don't specifically want to.

Grommet looks interesting too, I don't find the website to be too intuitive though, but I'll keep my eyes on it for sure, thanks for pointing me to that one.

Best Regards.

Toni Barth

Am 07.01.2022 um 16:56 schrieb Taksan:

Toni:

Please try to add a subject to your emails. Also try not to add attachments that are not relevant to the topic at hand.

So, about the website, let me tell you what I do. I am not blind and even I have problems with design. Only a good designer knows what is really good visually. I am no designer, so....I just try to reuse an existing html template. There are lots for free in the internet. I find one that I like and just change the text and graphics.

Not sure why you do not like Drupal or Wordpress, both are great tools and I use them when the site actually needs to look more professional that just using a single template. Those CMS tools provide many things a simple template cannot: a contact form, special pages for articles, sidebars, just to name a few examples.

Sure you can always ask a designer how things are going, but, again, there are lots of templates already made by good designers, for free. I suggest you just get one, change it a little bit and publish it in a free site for others to view/review provide comments and there you go.

Now the QT framework is for doing desktop GUI, that is another topic.

Now if you really really want to do it just by yourself, my recommendation would be to use something that provides a CSS framework that already provides the basic pieces of how things should look, like for example bootstrap or bulma or Zurb

Henry

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 4:41 PM Toni Barth <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hello guys,

    this topic might be one of the more common ones discussed between
    blind
    developers, but I thought it'd be worth bringing it up again.

    I frequently think about creating my own website and tried several
    different ways already. I studied computer science for multiple
    degrees
    already and thus don't want to go with CMS like Drupal or Wordpress,
    which I already tried, but it doesn't feel professional enough for my
    taste. Thats why I always come back to writing my own, which is not a
    problem per-se, but it won't just look great due to me not being
    able to
    properly format the website.

    I often think about GUI frameworks like Qt, which deffinitely need
    people who can see and move stuff around from time to time, but
    thanks
    to designing patterns like layouts, boxes and such, a good-looking
    simple GUI can deffinitely be done as a blind person without
    having to
    fiddle around too much withthe graphics. I wasn't able to find
    something
    comparable in the web world yet unfortunately.

    What is your experience with this topic? Do you have a website
    which you
    developed on your own without sighted help or what did you ask
    them to
    do for you? How would you approach such a thing?

    I'm currently thinking about a new attempt in writing a page in react
    based on bootstrap and some other pre-defined packages, hoping that I
    can ask a gweb designer to do the CSS for me as soon as all the
    content
    is finished, but i'm deffinitely stepping onto new territory here
    for me.

    Thanks.

    Best Regards.

    Toni Barth