[program-l] Re: VisualStudio Console Use and JAWS or NVDA

  • From: Karl-Otto Rosenqvist <karl-otto@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alok Kaushik <alok.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:01:42 +0100

Hi Rick!
I use NVDA and when I use the Package Manager Console I simply press Ctrl + a, Ctrl + C and paste it into Notepad where I can navigate freely. It's a crude way of doing things but it works.
I always execute one command at a time and then copy the lot to see what happened.

In my projects I have a text file I call Migrations.txt where I store the command lines for creating the initial migration and a line where I update the name or tag for the next migration ready to be pasted into Package Manager Console.

Kind regards

Karl-Otto

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist
MAWINGU
Orgnr: 750804-3937
+46 (0)701 75 98 56
karl-otto@xxxxxxxxxx

Den 2022-01-25 kl. 00:01, skrev Alok Kaushik:

Hi Richard,

I generally use an equivalent command on command line instead of package manager. You can refer to the below links to use entity framework tools from command line.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/dotnet-ef/6.0.1 <https://www.nuget.org/packages/dotnet-ef/6.0.1>

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Tools/ <https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Tools/>

Following are some examples of how I use the tools from the first link.

Install the tool using command line:

dotnet tool install --global dotnet-ef --version 6.0.1

Generate an EF migration:

dotnet ef migrations add InitialCreate

Generate SQL  script from migration:

dotnet ef migrations script 0 InitialCreate -o migrationScript.sql

Here  0 has special significance. This is the starting migration, and 0 means that we want to include everything.

Alternatively deploy the migration on the database server:

dotnet ef database update InitialCreate

Hope this helps.

Alok