[program-l] Re: Visual Studio Installer: How the Heck do I Get Rid of "The property 'SharedLegacyFile' must be true for isolated file ..."?

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:42:38 -0000

Hi Jerry,

The shared legacy file system is a method of reference counting used by Windows Installer. Basically, if a file is marked as a shared legacy file Windows Installer will reference count the times it installs it, thus ensuring it's uninstalled only when all applications that have installed it are uninstalled, or so the theory has it. You can find more information at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vxgrfsharedlegacyfileproperty.asp

So, setting the property to true shouldn't have any unintended consequences, especially if it's only going to be installed once. If you want to get rid of the error, then I suspect it has something to do with the other file properties, or the project output properties, set in the installer project. For example, you may have the project output set to shared legacy, but not one of the files.

Will
----- Original Message ----- From: <gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx>