[program-l] Re: VB.NET Remoting Events

  • From: David Lant <david.lant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Program-L List (Program-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <Program-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:07:47 -0000

Hi again,

Well, as it appears no-one else can find a VB sample of raising events via
remoting, would it be possible for someone familiar with C# to have a look
at the relevant kb article, and give me a pseudo code breakdown of what it's
doing?

Having despaired of getting server-side event firing to work using .NET
Remoting, I thought I'd give it a go using Serviced Components and COM+.
But it appears the self same situation occurs.

Either I'm being very stupid, or .NET is.  It appears that .NET requires
that the server component knows something about the implementation of the
client in order to raise events to it.  That, in the classical client/server
architecture, seems totally mad to me.  Server's shouldn't give a dingo's
kidneys what or where the client is, let alone expect to have access to its
assembly.

I think I understand that in order to get around the above peculiarity, the
current method, as outlined in the kb article mentioned previously, is to
implement an abstract class which is made available to both the client and
the server, which actually does the business of defining the event handler
and raising/handling the event.  This means that the server has to create a
class based on the abstract one to define the event and raise it, and the
client has to create a class based on the same abstract to define the event
and handle it.

Is this vaguely right?  I still can't quite get my head around the actual
coding of this, and I'm running out of time, not to mention patience.
<smile>  I really wish MS could have had the proxies handle this stuff,
rather than having us have to get down and dirty with the individual
implementations.  Maybe I'm just hankering for the simple days...

Oh, and if anybody suggests it's fixed in .NET 2.0, I'll shoot them. <grin>
j/k

David Lant

I.T. Consultant
Consultancy & Development
ICT Services
Tel: (01392) 382464

Devon County Council accepts no legal responsibility for the contents of
this message. The views expressed do not reflect those of Devon County
Council.