[program-l] Re: Understanding W3C specs - how did you guys get started?

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:26:04 -0800

I very often resort to the w3c specs (especially for xml related
technologies). Like reading any other technical specification it
simply requires shifting into a somewhat different mindset. And yes,
specs very often have sections that are only useful to one audience or
another.

On 4/27/15, Mike Fox <mfox32322@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys,

Just now, in response to a question about resources to learn HTML, and I
mentioned one that I've found to be awesome. But when I compared it to
actually reading through the W3C documentation, I realized how very little
I actually understood of it.

Don't get me wrong - some pages are great, and make perfect sense to a web
developer; but others seem to be directed more towards people trying to
create their own browsers or something. For example this page talking
about the Web Audio API:
http://www.w3.org/TR/webaudio/#AudioContext-section
There's this humungous chunk of what appears to be some kind of native code
(explicitly declaring variable data types, interfaces, I've seen some that
talk about inheritance, etc.).

I'm thinking stuff like this must be referring to some core API used
internally by all standards-compliant browsers. But how does it relate to
web development in languages like JavaScript or PHP? I'm not trying to
reinvent Firefox, I just want to find out how to better use i.e. ARIA, the
Audio API, etc.

So do you guys try to make sense of the official docs or just use tutorials
like HTML5 rocks? I love a good tutorial but eventually I'd like to be
able to figure out where they're coming from, LOL. Anyway thanks guys.
*smile*

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx