[program-l] Re: Silly Python Question

  • From: "Corbett, James" <James.Corbett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:48:03 +0000

Tyler:

What is foo?

Jim

From: program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:program-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Littlefield, Tyler
Sent: October 16, 2012 10:25 AM
To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [program-l] Re: Silly Python Question

Because len and the others call foo.__len__. It's a quick way at getting at
those methods without having to call them yourself, so any class can implement
a __len__ method and len would work on it.
On 10/16/2012 7:08 AM, Homme, James wrote:
Hi,
I tend to obsess about things sometimes. I was looking at the Python Standard
Library documentation and reading about lists, dictionaries, and files, and I
started to wonder why len, del, and open are part of the built-in's, if that's
the right term, rather than methods of the objects called dictionary, list, and
file. Just saying.

Jim

Take care,

Ty

http://tds-solutions.net

The aspen project: a barebones light-weight mud engine:

http://code.google.com/p/aspenmud

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that
dares not reason is a slave.