[program-l] SQL Server: Security issue

  • From: "Ian Sharpe" <isforums@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:09:41 +0100

Hi All,

I have just setup a new development PC my home network and want to move the databases I have created on another machine to this PC. Both PCs are members of the same work group. There is no domain controller or domain, just a work group. I've set up both SQL server instances to use SQL Sserver and Window security mode.

I created a DTS package to copy the required databases between SQL instances through the Copy Database wizard in Enterprise Manager. All looked good. However, when I ran the package it failed due to an access violation. I've done some reading and suspect that it isn't possible to use this approach within a work group as it is necessary to add the network user to at least one of the SQL instances logins. Can anyone please confirm this?

I know I can use the backup and restore mechanism to move the databases but it would be nice to know whether it is possible to set up a DTS package to do this in my and if so how before I resort to this.

Cheers
Ian