[program-l] Re: Off topic: Seeking accessability to the BS7799 standard

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:32:28 +0100

Hi Pranav,

Since this is the "BRITISH" Standards Institute I presume,
they would be covered here in the U.K. by the Disability
Discrimination Act (DDA).  This essentially makes it law to
provide material in an accessible format, which this year
acquired somewhat more in the way of teeth than when it was
originally introduced.

However, I'm not sure how it applies to material they supply
abroad, and that may be their get out.

Now if you'd like to do a little bit of "stirring", I would
suggest you point them to the following item on their web
page, "BSI Calls on Industry to Improve Communications to
the Blind".

http://www.bsi-global.com/PSS/press_releases.xalter/RNIB.xal
ter

Then ask them to put their money where there mouth (sorry,
"Web page") is.  (Smile)

George.

Pranav Lal
> Sent: 30 September 2005 17:09
> To: program-l-freelists.org
> Subject: [program-l] Off topic: Seeking accessability to
the
> BS7799 standard
>
> Hi all,
>
> I will be attending a training course on the BS7799
standard.
> You can get information on the BS7799 standard at
> http://www.bsi-global.com/Global/bs7799.xalter.
>
> BSI has refused to give me the material in electronic
format
> for off site usage. I can read the material at the
training