[program-l] Re: Off Topic: USERS SWEAT BULLETS WAITING FOR WMF PATCH

  • From: Trouble <trouble1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 23:18:26 -0500

This one you really should of researched on Ty.
You might want to try xp pro or 2003. I run mine for weeks or even months without a boot. If you don't run crap and know what your doing xp shouldn't need booted all that often.
Now for your linix thing. you know why its open source? Because not many people use it and it is command line driven. See other post for info on that.
Now for the security thing, yes there are different releases of windows for different countries just like linix. Did you know there are versions of linix that are not open source? Red hat is one of them. yes you can get old red hat, but the business version ain't as buggy as open source versions is.
You said linix don't have many upgrades? You need to read and use it more, because patches for open source comes out like water from faucet.
Now to address the requirement issue. older versions of linix will run on those out dated boxes yes. But your newer version won't, because they are written to use the newer hardware on market now.
Just because you got linix on a box and running some what. You really need to work with it as your main box for a wile, and I don't mean shh into it! Actually command line drive the box. Then take a real good look at the page for what ever distro you put in, and read. Will be surprised what you find as in bugs, security problems, and hardware issues.

At 12:06 PM 1/5/2006, you wrote:

Hello,
Sure, the server is good, but, *most* and I am not saying all here, big companies use linux, because of its stability, and its security. Linux, is able to stay on for 3 weeks at a time, where most windows operating systems, unless you have tons of ram, and processing speed, can't do this. Sure, it has security holes. There won't ever be a program that won't, and if all development went into no security holes, then we wouldn't have linux. The thing that has made Linux what it is, is that it is open source. Something, that one of the guys of microsoft has commented on being bad for you guys, if you made source.
comments made by Microsoft VP Jim Allchin who stated, under oath, that there were flaws in Windows so great that they would
threaten national security if the Windows source code were to be disclosed.
That, I can see, because of things like the message queue.
Also, one more thing that differes hugely between Linux and windows, is the cost. While a new development of windows comes out every 3-5 years, you are also required almost definatly to upgrade your computer. Anyone seen the requirements for Windows vista? Linux, well. I can run this on a windows 98 pc, where 98 is totally out in Microsofts views, and be fine, with a p3 processor, 20 gb hard drive, less than that, and 128 ram.
Later,
Tyler Littlefield.
Check out our website:
<http://tysplace.the-leetest.net>http://tysplace.the-leetest.net
check out my blog:
livejournal.com/~tylerrl
[my programs don't have bugs, just randomly added features]
[failure is not an option, it comes bundled with windows!]
Hmm.. I was unaware that there was only one flavour of Windows with the same security model.