[program-l] NT4 domain moving to Windows 2000

  • From: "Tim Burgess" <tim.burgess@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:27:08 +0100

Hi,

I've looked on the MS KB, but can't find a solution to this - can anybody
help?

I have an NT4 Small Business Server which acts as the primary domain
controller on the network.  I also have a Windows 2000 member server on the
same domain.  The NT4 box has served me well, but is now past its sell-by
date, so I want to promote the 2000 member server to be a domain controller
on the domain so that I preserve my user SIDs, etc..  If I run DCPromo on
the 2000 server and specify that I want it to be an additional server on an
existing domain, I get an error because Active Directory doesn't exist on
the NT4 box (obviously).

Does anybody know a work-around, or do I have to trash my users, etc. and
create a new domain from scratch on the 2000 server?

Best wishes.

Tim