[program-l] Re: Lazarus Project

  • From: Lubos Pintes <lubos.pintes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 17:16:10 +0200

Hello,
What about .exe size? I can remember that some time ago I played with the Lazarus, not IDE, only libs. And It seems to me that very simple hello world had something like 14 MB or such :-). May be I did something wrong in linking, really cannot remember now.
Dňa 6.8.2011 0:24, Barry Jennings wrote / napísal(a):
Hi Everyone,

I've been a Delphi user for a long time and found it to be very good at
creating accessible Windows applications.  Recently I have been looking at
an open source Delphi look-alike called Lazarus.  The Lazarus project seems
quite active and the little playing I've done suggests that the IDE is quite
stable.  There are some accessibility issues, i.e. some unlabelled buttons
here and there but with a little experience a blind developer could develop
apps using this environment.  So far I have been able to drop fields onto a
form and compile and run a project.  The accessibility of the generated apps
seems good.

Lazarus is based on Free Pascal which has matured quite nicely.  The Pascal
dialect is very close to what you would find in Delphi.  There are versions
of Lazarus for several operating systems including Windows, Linux, Mac OS/X
and Solaris and there are versions that target the Arm processor.  So if you
want to target multiple platforms this might be the answer.  For those of
you who use Linux or OS/X it would be interesting to see how well it works
on those platforms.

Anyone who is an experienced Jaws scripter and is familiar with development
environments like this one might want to look at this to make it easier to
use with Jaws.  I haven't had much experience wwriting Jaws scripts but from
what I can see there are possibilities.  You can find out more about the
Lazarus project at:
http://lazarus.freepascal.org

Barry