[program-l] Re: Installing android studio, for use with flutter/dart, working with NVDA, or jaws

  • From: Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 21:45:51 +0800

Hi Jacob. After you install Android studio and run it for the first time, It will start by downloading the Latest Android tools that it needs to run.  Also, you are experiencing all those problems because Accessibility is not available by default.  What I did was to wait for it to finish downloading all it needs to, then restart it, then choose configure.  It will then open the file/settings menu.  Now arrow up or down the tree and choose system, expand it and arrow up or down to appearance, then tab to something like "enable accessibility for screen readers" check box and check it.  You might also want to change the editor's configuration and configure things like code folding and so on. The settings can be a friend to you, so I would suggest you explore it thoroughly.  If you have any problems, I would be happy to write out a brief tutorial to help you. Also, NVDA seems to work best of all the screen readers since it was used extensively to test with Android Studio.  Let me know.  Cheers!

On 4/27/2020 1:24 PM, jacob kruger wrote:

Roger, it's not even a treeview, and, you can't really tab onto checkboxes - they seem to, at times mention checked status, but, not consistently, but, it's more like a multi-column list table.

Primary issue is there doesn't seem to be any consistent way to find out which components are checked, and, which are not, and, the next button stays disabled if even manage to navigate to it...LOL!

After I close that window, it actually lands in android studio window, but, running flutter doctor, it tells me it's not setup in any case.

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
"Resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2020-04-26 03:17 PM, Roger Woolgrove wrote:
I find this installer quite hard work too.
I ended up going through and selecting each check box, then when I find an item in the tree that maybe expanded I expand it and continue through, selecting all the check boxes.
This was a lengthy process and takes up a fair amount of space on the HD.
That was a while ago and last time I installed I think I only installed after Android 6 as the earlier devices aren't really used anymore from what I can tell.
You will then need to sit and agree to all the lincence requests. You can accept all though I do not like to do this and check each and every request.

It takes ages

roger

On 26/04/2020 13:43, jacob kruger wrote:
Was trying to play around with a getting started tutorial for flutter/dart last night, and, in the tutorial they asked you to install android studio, etc., but, here's the hitch.

I can get to the point where android studio seems to be trying to install all the underlying components, asking me to choose what I want in terms of virtual devices, SDK components, etc., but, the next button stays disabled, no matter what I do there, and, I have tried working with this screen using NVDA, jaws and even MS narrator, with no difference?

Also, the tab-order is messed up, the checkbox list items are not rendered consistently, etc., etc.

So, is there some form of automation process, or a pre-defined package I could try working with to bypass this step?

And, on a form of side note, installing the java JDK also irritates me - I wish java had never been chosen as a cross-platform option since I have never had much joy working with it, working with java-based apps, even with JAB enabled, etc. etc....LOL!

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"Resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** program-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq