[program-l] Re: I made an app! Making Android apps with Beeware

  • From: jacob kruger <jacob.kruger.work@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 11:54:49 +0200

Devin, nice!

I have also played around with beeware a little bit, just to make sure that it's android .apk result would be accessible, and, it was.

The one thing still wanted to try out, or figure out, for now, was how to include additional resources, like an audio file that might then be able to trigger the playback of.

And, besides this, you might have heard my demo of tasker which was included in the one recent blindAndroidUsers podcast, and you can there also generate slightly limited .apk files including GUI elements that then allow you to trigger sets of tasks to be carried out, using it's own forms of variables and/or scripting to store and retrieve values, but anyway.

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
"Resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2021-04-19 05:49 PM, Devin Prater wrote:

Hi all.
I'm very excited to let you all know a bit more about my programming journey. In short, I used Beeware's tools (briefcase, toga), to make an Android app. Beeware is a group of Python packages that are used to "write once, deploy anywhere." So, you can write your code, then make a GUI with Toga, and then build an app for many platforms. You can even make Mac and iOS apps, if you have a Mac.
So, why use this over other stuff? Well, it's accessible. Well, as accessible as possible on each platform. My lunch program wasn't so accessible on Linux, but was very accessible on Android. Briefcase, the project management part of Beeware, can even package your app for sending off to Google and such, as an AAB file. Other crossplatform compilers, like Kivy, aren't accessible because they draw directly to the screen instead of using native UI elements. Of course, they could fix this for Android at least, since you can do a lot with Android's accessibility API regarding making custom controls accessible. But Beeware just works.
One note about dependencies. If you use something like Requests, BeautifulSoup, and stuff like that, you will need to put those in the project's TOML file, in the "required" list.

To get started, see:

https://beeware.org/ ;<https://beeware.org/>
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:r.d.t.prater@xxxxxxxxx>