[program-l] Re: Getting a panoramic view of code

  • From: "Stefan Moisei" <vortex37@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 20:32:52 +0200

Someone seems to have posted nvda dev docs online. They are a bit old, 2020.3, but it is the best we have. I looked at some modules and they seem ok, but I can't guarantee their overall correctness
https://nvda.es/wp-content/uploads/nvda_2020.3_devDocs.zip

-----Original Message----- From: Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 7:26 PM
To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [program-l] Re: Getting a panoramic view of code

Hi,
I tend to use Grep for looking up function definitions and such (I use WSL for NVDA source code management). Even before that, I read source code docs (at least starting with what's available in public) to understand the overall structure and read parts of source code that interests me and expand from there.
Regarding NvDA source code, I know that new contributors and add-on writers are having difficulty understanding it fully. Part of this stems from lack of publicly viewable source code documentation that's easily discoverable. You can use Sphinx to build NVDA docs locally now, but I'm coordinating an effort to make the source code docs easily discoverable online (if given a chance, I hope to discuss this later during the planned Zoom call, whenever it might be).
Cheers,
Joseph