[program-l] Automating adding include paths to visual studio.

  • From: <Nick.Adamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:41:22 -0000

Hi all.

Got a bit of an odd question for you all. If anyone can answer this you
can officially where the "visual studio expert of the week" hat.

I'm compiling a set of c++ libraries which is to be used by the rest of
the software development team. This includes libs, include files and
executables. It's boost plus a hole lot of other stuff.

I'm trying to make it as easy for our guys to use this as possible so am
doing things like setting the path and any needed environment variables
in my installer. I've now got to the point where the only manual thing
our developers have to do is add the include and lib paths to the visual
studio 2005 environment through tools, options, projects and solutions,
vc++ directories.

Is there any way I can get my installer to automatically update the
visual studio settings? A registry key, environment variable, function
call, extra lines to a configuration file? something else?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers.
Nick.

Nick Adamson
Software Engineer
General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited

Email: nick.adamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: 01495 236467
http://www.generaldynamics.uk.com

General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited
Bryn Brithdir,
Units 3 & 4,
Oakdale Business Park,
Oakdale,
South Wales,
NP12 4AA.

This email and any files attached are intended for the addressee and may
contain information of a confidential nature. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that this email was sent to you in error and you should not
disclose, distribute, print, copy or make other use of this email or its
attachments. Such actions, in fact, may be unlawful. In compliance with the
various Regulations and Acts, General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited reserves
the right to monitor (and examine for viruses) all emails and email
attachments, both inbound and outbound. Email communications and their
attachments may not be secure or error- or virus-free and the company does not
accept liability or responsibility for such matters or the consequences
thereof.  General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited, Registered Office: 100 New
Bridge Street, London EC4V 6JA. Registered in England and Wales No: 1911653.