[program-l] Re: Anyone know Cobol out there?

  • From: "Corbett, James" <James.Corbett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 18:53:28 +0000

Jim H.

When I was in college during the 1990âs we had three full semesters of COBOL
with the last being in a maintenance role where we worked on actual outside
applications. Upon graduation I started with the now defunct NorTel Networks as
a COBOL developer and held that position off and on until I began working in
the federal government.

Since then my primary skills have been centered in Visual Basic and now Java
but behind the scenes whether it be a desk top gui or a web based application
the back end is always COBOL. Being able to read the language, sometimes debug
and or write it has only added to my skill set. Everyone wants to jump ship for
the exciting world of Java but we canât seem to get enough COBOL / Netron
people. The college that I attended no longer teaches COBOL yet the demand for
entry level to experienced developers / analysts still exists. During the Y2k
time, it was estimated that COBOL developers were being paid as much as $40.00
per line of code. Oh by the way, COBOL stands for Compiled Only By Outright
Luck.

Jim