[program-java] Silent printing from a browser?

  • From: "Adrian Beech" <a.beech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 01:31:20 +1000

G'day all,

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to assist with a long standing
problem.

I'm looking for a drop in package that will enable silent printing when the
user clicks a button/link on a web page and a byte stream is gemerated from
an actioned performed by a servlet.  For example, I have a number of
applications hosted on an OC4J environment and it would be useful to have
something whereby I could have the reports printed at the users end using
the stream output from reports generated by JasperReports.  I'm thinking
that an applet would be required at the users end to bridge the RMI gap and
this would then trigger the default printer say through the Adobe ActiveX
plug-in?

Perhaps alternatively this could be achieve using AJAX in some way?

Code examples, how to's, details of existing packages  and the like would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
AB