[program-java] Re: Let me introduce myself

  • From: Steve Meacham <program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 12:05:52 -0500

For me, learning OO was an epiphany.  For the longest time, I thought it was
the "emperor's new clothes."  I had procedures, functions, arrays, and
structures.  I had all I needed and could program anything using those
tools.  With discipline, I could still achieve abstraction, modularity, and
encapsulation in other languages like C and COBOL.

Then, one day, I finally "got it."  OO languages actually encourage
abstraction, modularity, and encapsulation.  Non-OO languages don't.  But,
non-OO languages generally DIS-courage polymorphism and inheritance (You can
do those in COBOL, if you're clever, a fast typist, and have intimate
knowledge of sub-programs, linkage sections, and level-88's.  Let's see how
long it lasts, and what happens during code review when your peers see you
using CALL with a name you looked up from an array.)

Truth is, though, OO isn't very well suited to the typical enterprise
business application.  It tends to be very verbose.  It forces you to
organize your code in certain ways that are often over-kill for basic
screens, reports, calculations, mailings, and such.  At least, the first
time.

However, those things we often ignore when programming in non-OO languages
like COBOL - abstraction, modularity, encapsulation, become more and more
valuable over time as an application grows and changes (if used properly,
and they often aren't).  Polymorphism and inheritance are particularly
useful to make extensible code from the start, and to eliminate most
duplicate code.

Once you have your epiphany moment, you'll find it difficult to program in
languages that don't support these things, like COBOL.  Your mind will reach
out for an Object, or a method, or a sub-class, or whatever, and it won't be
there.  It'll feel like hammering a screw or changing spark-plugs with
pliers.  At least it does to me.

Good luck!
Steve

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Corbett, James <James.Corbett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx