[procps] wrong defaults for sysctl on arch linux

  • From: "geralt@xxxxxxxxx" <geralt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:01:22 +0200

Hi all.

I've been suggested to report this problem here. First reported in the arch
linux forums:

It seems systctl assumes by default that the /etc/sysctl.conf file exists.
In arch linux after the upgrade to systemd 207 this file no longer exists
and will not be read even if created by hand (instead
/etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf is suggested if any change from the default
values is needed).

At least when running "sysctl -p" or "sysctl --system", the commands fail
because they assume that /etc/sysctl.conf exists, and exit with an error
when it is not found.

Could sysctl use the conf files in /etc/sysctl.d/ as a fallback if
/etc/sysctl.conf doesn't exist?
I'd flash you my business card, but my hands are too full of guns.
- Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, making another dashing rescue