[procps] Re: top's graph mode saga continues

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 03:05:14 -0500

On Jun 29, 2014, at 6:53 AM, Craig Small <csmall-procps@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 01:26:15AM -0500, Jim Warner wrote:
>> Anyway, I sure hope you don’t run with the top defaults.  How would you feel
>> about changing those defaults, since it would mostly affect new users?  I
>> think turning on colors, forest view and cpus graph mode would help to open
>> some eyes.
> I have colours TYVM!
> https://enc.com.au/2014/06/29/sneak-peek-of-top-graphs/
>
> My bad attempt at solarized colours.

Hi Craig,

You must be pretty brave, even I don’t mess with the Color Mapping screen.

I’d love to know what terminal color scheme you were running under, since the
colors look a little washed out.  I’ve seen a similar effect under some
emulators and changing the scheme to 'xterm' usually makes them more vibrant.
With respect to your specific example, I have a few thoughts.

I would have used 'E' to scale to GiB and 'e' to scale to MiB.  Under a
different terminal I would have started a top or two with -d.05 to make those
cpu graphs more interesting.  Lastly, if the terminal window was a little wider
(or SHR had been removed) I would have employed Forest View ('V').

Anyway, since you didn’t vote on revising those startup defaults, I took the
liberty of voting for you.  The attached contains a patch supplementing the
recent LC_NUMERIC change and a patch for new startup defaults.  Keep in mind,
the latter will only affect users without an existing rcfile.

When you try it out, be sure to delete .lt-toprc first.  Then, I would
recommend the following steps for a quick review of those new defaults:

1) key 'A' to activate all four of top’s windows
2) type repeated 'a' or 'w' to cycle through each Summary Area
3) keying 'A’ again makes the then 'current’ window full screen.

By cycling through all windows you’ll see why I retained the same color scheme
between Summary and Task areas.  Just by their color, one can easily associate
a particular Summary Area with its Task Window when multiple windows are being
displayed.  You’ll also notice that for windows beyond the default I eliminated
the Mem/Swap graphs and made the cpu graphs block vs. bar.

The patch also provides a '—disable-modern-top' configure option which restores
the old behavior.

If you approve, I won’t mind a push.

Regards,
Jim

p.s. When the complaints start rolling in, remember that a single 'z' turns
colors *and* colours off.