[procps] rhbz#737215 - ps does not resolve some user names

  • From: Jaromir Capik <jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps-ng <procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 05:56:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hello guys.

I recently found a forgotten bug in my list, in scope of which
one of the ps features was discussed and we found it's usefulness
a bit controversial.

Szymon Miotk reported, that he sometimes gets UIDs instead of usernames
in the UID column. After some investigation we found, that this is
a ps feature. UID is displayed if the username is too long to fit
in the column. This feature was very probably introduced to avoid
breaking the line format/indentation. But as the UIDs can currently
have 10 digits, the indentation gets broken anyway.
I promised I'll discuss that with you.
Do you find reasonable to modify the code to show just a part
of the username (followed by star or something) if the username
doesn't fit? This "auto-magic" apparently leads to cunfusions.

Please, let me know.

Regards,
Jaromir.

--
Jaromir Capik
Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.

Email: jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.cz.redhat.com
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45, Brno, Czech Republic
IC: 27690016