[procps] Re: procps-ng winding down

  • From: Sami Kerola <kerolasa@xxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 21:40:33 +0200

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 21:04, Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jim et.al.

> I was keeping an eye on your ng branch and noticed the commit.  I just did
> a test build and everything's fine.

Good.

> With that last commit I think we're ready to plead with Craig to merge.
> Thanks for all your help and indulgences but I have one last favor to ask.
>
> You seem to be an expert with both autotools and git.  I've only been
> exposed to git for a few months so I'm still on a pretty steep leaning
> curve.

I had the same curve about year ago, and the first time when I started to do
stuff with remote repositories was at January. With a help of util-linux
maintainer Karel Zak I'm no longer doing everything wrong... but in all honesty,
there's lots to learn from guys who know what they do. I'm simply imitating.

> I believe this will be the first externel/foreign merge for procps.  So I
> was wondering, after ssh, exactly what steps would you take to accomplish
> such a merge?

First of all; do not push before things look good!

The second recommendation is to add following to ~/.gitconfig so that you can
see how branches look. Run `git lola'  is safe always, so try that
before and after
merge.

--- snip
[alias]
        co = checkout
        lol = log --graph --decorate --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit
        lola = log --graph --decorate --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit --all
-- snip

If you are are in doubt you could mess something up copy do the following;

cd /tmp
git clone git://gitorious.org/procps/procps.git
cd procps
git remote add sami git://gitorious.org/~kerolasa/procps/sami-procps-ng.git
git fetch sami
git merge sami/ng master

After that test you can do from 'git remote add' to merge all steps in the
repo which you use to pushes, and as you can guess the next command will be

git push

Notice that you should not use force. If you have to I have done
something wrong.

The reason why to fetch, and not to pull, is explained good blog post.

http://longair.net/blog/2009/04/16/git-fetch-and-merge/

> Could you please also include any post merge actions that might be
> appropriate.

Nothing other than having a beer does not come to my mind.

> Many thanks in advance.

My pleasure.

--
   Sami Kerola