[procps] Re: new library

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 02:07:21 -0500

On Jun 24, 2015, at 7:57 AM, Craig Small <csmall-procps@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've made a branch called newlib that has some large amount of changes
to the library API. This new API uses a lot less (or will do when I
remove the old functions) global variables and more opaque structures.

I've not moved them into the master branch as I want to see what others
think first. The API is definitely much cleaner with a lot less of
"mana from heaven" kind of side effects (what function needs to be
called to update what variables?)

Hi Craig,

I’ve found a way (for me) to work with newlib so the pain is quickly subsiding.

If you wanted to correct that branch, the following steps do the job:

git reset --hard 2594666
git rebase origin/master
git rebase -i HEAD~3
[ remove the 'NLS - update po files' commit ]

Then, if you wanted to correct it for the rest of us, you could:

push origin +newlib --force

I think it’s ok to violate the normal rules and force a change to git history
with this brand new branch. Any users impacted can employ this easy fix in
their local clones:

git reset --hard HEAD~20
git pull

Over the weekend I’ll be readying some comments (and maybe some patches) for
the new API.

Regards,
Jim