[procps] huge top extension

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Procps-ng Mail list <procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:34:50 -0500

Hi Craig,

For a long time I wished there was an easy way to support the expansion of fields. In newlib, top currently displays 76 fields with a maximum of of 86 under the current design (ok, 94 if remaining printable characters are used).

As a means of exploring stuff, locally I maintain a branch with many extra top fields which the public version never sees. As such I bump up against these internal limitations.

I finally came up with a solution that provides top with essentially an unlimited capacity for new fields. And patch #0004 shows how easy it is to expand beyond my current provision of 100.

Under this new design I almost gave up on supporting older rcfiles. But I eventually overcame all obstacles. Prior configuration files are seamlessly supported (even back to a 20+ year old 3.2.8 version).

In addition to the newlib patches, I've also included some master branch catch-up patches. I only implemented ones that don't impact libproc.

Thanks in advance for the pushes.

Regards,

Jim

p.s. any estimate on when newlib might be born?