[pr0k] Doom 3 Opinions

  • From: Andy Burrows <Andy.Burrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pr0k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pr0k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 08:13:20 +0100

Okay, here's my final REAL opinions of Doom 3.  So, Steve, this should over
rule the e-mails I sent you bitching about it being a strategy game.

These are points from having seen the rolling demo.

#1.  It looks fucking ace.  Visually, it's mind-blowing, the way the lights
are and the way they set the mood.

#2.  It looks scary as fuck.

#3.  It sounds amazing.  I watched it without sound first, so when I saw it
with the sound it became a whole lot more absorbing.

#4.  The Doom III logo at the end of the demo made me cum.

#5.  It's not *really* Doom, but this is only an early level.  It reminds me
of Quake 2, with the Doom Marine.

#6.  They have an animator from Shrek/Ants doing the animation.  Pretty
funky.  They look good, too.

#7.  The faces are awesome, the way they move when they talk.  Same for the
set pieces, they're really something...

#8.  Monsters actually look like they *should* be in a certain locations -
The animations are being designed AROUND the level structure, so if there is
a beam, for example, they'll jump or climb over the exact shape of the beam.
Really something.

#9.  I think the zombies look a bit crap.  They walk very "Night of the
Living Dead", and when there's a few on screen they look a bit samey. The
other monsters rule, especially the big bastard at the end who rips the
player in half.

#10.  There's no pickups and no HUD!!!  GO FUCK YOURSELVES JESTER
MANAGEMENT, I WAS RIGHT YOU FUCKING MORONS!  *ahem*  But, yeah, they're
going the right way.