[powerdot] powerdot clock and Acrobat Reader

  • From: Murali Krishnan Ganapathy <gmkrishn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: powerdot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 13:46:35 -0500

Hi All,

As has been said before, using the clock option and using Acrobat Reader 7.0 on Windows causes acrobat Reader to leak memory. While I understand that nothing can be done about it till Adobe fixes it in the next version, I think we can still use it if we are little careful.

During the presentation, the seconds is really not required. So, if we suppress the seconds and increase the update interval (from 1sec to say 10sec), we slow down the memory leak by a factor of 10. This way instead of running out of memory at the 40 minutes mark, it will run out of memory only after 6.5 hours. Which should be more than enough for even a long talk. That being said, I went about it by making the following changes to powerdot.cls

----------------
   \def\pd@startclock{%
     function pdshowtime(){
       var pdtime=new Date();
       this.getField("pdclock.time").value=
         util.printd("H:MM",pdtime);                  ----> change here
     }
     var tempa=app.setInterval("pdshowtime()",10000);   ---> and here
     this.getField("pdstartclock").readonly=true;
     this.getField("pdclock").readonly=true;
   }%

This suppresses the seconds and updates the clock only once in 10 seconds (we can probably increase it to 30 seconds). The only weirdness now is that, the clock is initially displayed only 10 seconds into the talk. Somebody who knows javascript can possibly fix it. Otherwise, we can think of this as a feature! (why do we need the clock in the title slide?). At the least, we could add an option to powerdot to switch between the current behavior and the one suggested.

- Murali