[pov] Michelle Bates' Photo Update

  • From: Michelle <photomeesh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fremontartscouncil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, brsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Photographers of Vashon Vashon <pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:25:58 -0700

Hi everybody!
So much has been happening lately, between travel and getting the book together, time has flown by!
This spring and summer has been full with getting the book done and off to the printer, shooting the Moisture Festival and New Old Time Chautauqua tour and many other performance events, and planning lots of fun for the fall.

More information about all the following, including larger images of the cards, is on my website: http://www.michellebates.net in the News and Events sections. After-reports show up on my blog - read about past workshops, exhibitions, vaudeville tours and other such fun stuff!

Come say hi and find out the latest on Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/michellebatesphotography

-The second edition of my book, "Plastic Cameras: Toying with Creativity" is off at the printer
The official release is in October, but I'm hoping I get to see if before then!
It's much updated and expanded from the first edition:
**32 more pages  **21 new photographers  **All the new cameras! **Updated tips and tricks **More resources, links, publications**

There will be book release parties in October in Seattle and New York (during Photo Plus Expo) and a book signing at Freestyle's Photo Plus booth. Another book signing will take place at PhotoNOLA in early December. More info all all the book happening to come!

-Inside Analog Photo Interview
Scott Sheppard interviewed me for the great Inside Analog Photo site, and it went live this week. It's a half-hour conversation about Holgas, my work, creativity and the book. Check it out!

COMING UP:

-Exhibitions: Portland (OR), Santa Barbara, Seattle
-Talks: Seattle, NYC
-Workshops: Pismo Beach (CA), Philadelphia, New Orleans

EXHIBITIONS:

Solo Exhibition at University of Portland, OR - Opening Tuesday, August 24th, 5-7pm - please join me!
On the Road features 29 images from two series of Holga images: Black and white and color images from my trip to Nepal and Thailand in 2007, and my Urban Oases series from cities around the US. Aug 23-Sep 23 at the Buckley Center Gallery, University of Portland. Gallery is open 8:30-8 M-F & 8:30-4 Sat. There will be a closing reception as well, on Sep 23rd.

Holga Inspire at Brooks Institute Gallery 27 in Santa Barbara, CA - Opens Sep 2nd, 5-8pm
The Holga Inspire show hits the road again, landing in California this time. Enjoy images by 10 of the best Holga photographers around! I won't be able to make it to this, so send photos if you do! Sep 2-Oct 1. http://www.holgainspire.com

Photographic Center Northwest Faculty Exhibition, Seattle - October, Opens Friday, Oct 1st
See work by the wide range of talented photographers who teach at PCNW. I'll have three images up, and I'll have my book release party here during this show as well. http://www.pcnw.org

TALKS:

Ignite Seattle - Sep 14
On September 14th, I'll be one of 16 people giving a 5 minute talk, with 20 slides that are up for 15 seconds each. There is always a wide array of topics and a fun crowd of 700 people at the King Cat Theater. It will be online afterwards as well. http://www.igniteseattle.com/

Photo Plus Expo Seminar - Oct 30
I'll be giving a two-hour seminar during Photo Plus, the huge trade show at the Javitz Center in New York. Saturday, October 30th, 1:15-3:15. http://www.photoplusexpo.com/

WORKSHOPS:
All three of these workshops are my introduction to shooting with the Holga camera. It may sound simple, but the workshop is chock full of information, learning and inspiration! I show images by a wide variety of amazing plastic camera shooters and share my toy camera collection and many books and magazines; everyone gets to prep and shoot a Holga and I give lots of tips and tricks for how to get the most out of it. We'll also review images that you shoot, and if there is a darkroom at the facility, give printing a try.

Workshops West, Pismo Beach, CA - Oct 1-3
This all-inclusive workshop features 2 1/2 days of being together talking and shooting Holgas at a gorgeous inn overlooking the ocean. We'll take field trips, review images, enjoy the location and learn all about photography through the plastic lens

Project Basho, Philadelphia - October 23-24
Two days of learning, shooting, reviewing images and working in the darkroom  - http://projectbasho.org/

Photo NOLA - December 5 & 6
PhotoNOLA is a great event created by the New Orleans Photo Alliance, which includes exhibitions, lectures, portfolio reviews, parties and more, bringing the photo community together. I'll be teaching a workshop on Sunday, December 5th, with a shorter follow-up meeting on Monday to review work. There will be a book signing as well, with several other book contributors there, including Michael Kenna, Sylvia Plachy, Louviere + Vanessa, and Jennifer Shaw.

It continues to be thrilling that so many people are excited by low-tech plastic cameras and the possibilities they offer - I hope to see many of you at these events now and in the future!
Michelle