[pov] Help-Portrait: a nonprofit organization

  • From: "Viv Ilo E. Veith" <vivid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:39:09 -0700

Excuse if this has been mentioned before.  I just came across a nonprofit
called Help Portrait <http://help-portrait.com/>  that looks pretty neat.
"I (Jeremy Cowart) started an organization called Help-Portrait
<http://help-portrait.com/> . It¹s a worldwide movement of photographers who
are interested in giving back to people in need. I launched Help-Portrait in
2008, urging photographers to donate their time and equipment around the
holidays to give portraits to those who are less fortunate in countries
around the world. In December 2008, photographers gave away 40,000 portraits
in 40 countries. This past year, we were in 60 countries. We don¹t just
photograph people, we print out big, beautiful photographs for people to
keep. Most of the people we work with have never had their photo taken, or
even seen a picture of themselves. It¹s a pretty incredible experience for
the photographers and the individuals who are being photographed.'

One thing to consider though ­ there are a lot of low income people in this
country who fit the above bill.  It doesn't have to be in a foreign country.

Viv Ilo