[pisa] Re: Update: newbie instructions

  • From: Tobias Heer <heer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 09:31:55 +0200

There are hardly any config files copied by make install. HIPD works just fine because it creates its own config file at its first run. about pisa... we might need to write an installer for it. I have not checked PISA yet.

Tobias

Am 04.04.2009 um 09:18 schrieb Dominic Gatzen:

Hi all!
I have a question to point d)
what with the configuration files that are copied by make install? All
that stuff that is in /etc/hip or /etc/pisa ?

Tobias Heer schrieb:
PLEASE READ! I am not writing this for the archives ;-)

A short update on the PISA workflow and the test environment:

a) never compile on your virtual machine... and I mean NEVER!

b) always compile on your host or on power (best is on power).

c) checkout your sources into a) your home folder OR b) the build
folder on power (which doesn't exist yet but will exist tonight or on
monday... more infos are about to come).

d) Do not use make install on your vms or anywhere. make install just
copies the binaries from the project directory to your local file
system. Since you want to be working with the project directory make
install is NOT what you want.

e) use the binaries directly from the project directory. e.g. use
/hipd/hipd to start the hipd, use firewall/hipfw to start the firewall.

f) send questions to the list so everyone can learn from the answers.

g) ask questions. If you are stuck somewhere it is probably because of missing information and NOT because you are stupid. Please ask questions!

Best regards, have a nice weekend, enjoy the sun (which is a rare
occurance in Aachen)!

Tobi

--
Dipl.-Inform. Tobias Heer, Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Group