[pisa] Re: Suitable openWRT router with fast CPU and much memory

  • From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:20:45 +0300

Tobias Heer wrote:
Hi everyone.

We are about to buy a number of new openWRT routers. As my favorite model (WGT634U) is not sold anymore, we need to find another openWRT platform.

I'm asking myself whether the Fonera has enough oooomphz for our purposes. I think I would rather use a slightly better box. Decision criterions are: full openWRT Kamikaze support (no weird hacking required), smooth way to get openWRT installed, much ram, nice CPU... and it would be cool if it had USB or 802.11N capabilities... but these not a key requirement.

You should ask Kuptsov and Rene on their current opinion on the Foneras, but the HIPL implementation needs to be tuned for them for lower memory foot print and faster speed (multiple threads?). Currently HIPL is single-threaded because implementing multithreading *properly* is actually a pretty challenging task.

Any suggestions? If no one has a favorite router that he or she thinks is suitable we need to start investigating: Dongsu could you spend some cycles figuring out which router would be best.

Userspace ipsec makes it possible to basically to use any of the devices.

It would be great if we could order the device at a major german online store. I prefer www.computeruniverse.com but other stores would also be okay. I'd like to order this or next week.
Best regards,

We considered buying this, but Andrei changed his mind on the last second:

http://www.gateworks.com/